12.9.14

Summers end

It's taken me all summer to finally pick up my crochet hook. I was a little wary of being pulled in to something new. (What about all those wips for starters?). I found my way back in with Hannapat's monthly mandalong. Following the pattern here. This was fun, I keep admiring it. Simple things! Simple pleasures.

mini granny mandala
The summers end for us as well as the beginning of a new school year has always meant a birthday. This boy of mine who was born when the sunflowers were opening and who has indeed always been willowy and fair, and now almost a head taller than me. And who I now have to look up towards to wag my finger at. Although this practice works no longer in fact it may not have worked at all. Negotiation and de-escalation has now taken it's place.

time for sunflowers
The sunflowers have been brought. The presents are secretly wrapped. I love this wrapping. It reminds me of the colouring books I loved and my felt tips. I would spend hours colouring in those patterns.

sunflower boy is 16!
As I type I realize there is probably lots to bring you up to date with. This year we are beginning a new regime. It's called Hope training. A local project run by The Door youth project. I have been worrying about it all summer. It means stepping away from the secondary education system, which for one reason and another hasn't really worked for us. So it's quite a plunge. But it seems like a positive place, where they meet you, where you are actually at. A place to be accepted and acknowledged for who you are and to build up confidence. It's a big letting go of a system that hasn't been able to meet our needs and stepping into our own path. Officially we will be counted as home-schoolers, although at this stage I wouldn't really have wanted to consider that without this project in place.


Sixteen feels good though. So grown up suddenly. I keep thinking about this sweet little blond boy I used to know. It's been such a journey.

I had to adapt this card to say sixteen, you can see why! We do love Jack Russels around here.

dreaming of chasing rabbits
Todays snooze took place here, in the lovely warm sunny boot room. I really quite envied her. It's a dogs life. Thrifted blankets are her favourite too.


Just above her is a chalk board, I found it being thrown out. Of course I rescued it, knocked out the rusty that nail which was probably making it rather unchild friendly, and decided to hang it here where I plan to change the saying regularly. 'Let the heavy stuff go' Was really rather appropriate to the two days I spent last weekend clearing out the garage. I exhausted myself, the garage is almost empty and this is the kind of thing I do when I am worrying about things it seems. I think there is a lot of letting go going on at the moment to. Might be time to change it soon though!

I seem to have a lot to say.......

Can I just show you this.

a special card wallet from Kingsley leather on Etsy
The wonderful Kingsley from Kingsley Leather made this. Kingsley is credited with starting the Crafters of Gloucestershire Etsy group. It's a great idea, bringing the local crafters together. He makes funky leather bow ties as well different kinds of wallets/purses too. He is our group leader. I have to resist the urge to sing Kingsley is our leader, Kingsley is our leader, la la la la , la la la la hey! ....... when I speak to him! It's a very cute handmade slim leather card wallet. It's very light, just right for sixteen I hope. I love the red stitching, it called me! and the lion stamp. I hope he won't lose it. It's a great size for tucking in your jeans, perhaps with a little cash and a card inside. It goes very quickly at sixteen that's for sure.

sunflower embroidery by my Mum
Well I'm glad to be able to have a catch up. Hope September is going well for you all.

sweet nectar
and life is good.


13 comments:

  1. Good luck with the Hope training. I love the quote on the blackboard, and well done with the garage clear out. I've cleared almost everything this year, it feels so good to be rid of clutter! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely catch-up Heather. Enjoy your boy's sixteenth year -it all sounds promising xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 16 birthday to you both! The sunflowers look amazing. Good luck with the Hope Training. I hope it goes well for both of you. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to you're boy and good luck with the Hope training, love the mandala I have plans to make that one too, she says ignoring the pile of WIP's
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  5. My "littlest" boy is 16 too. How do we get here so fast? Love your sweet sleepy Jack Russell. I have had one of those too--such unforgettable personalities those dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buon Compleanno to your big boy!!!!!!! All the best in your new schooling adventure!!!!!!
    xxxxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday for your son....that Hope projects sounds just right, our education system doesn't work for every child, hopefully, this will. Love those sunflowers :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are a wonderful momma .. and they do grow up so fast .. my baby starts his last year of high school ... they become men .. and I guess that's our job to get them there :)

    beautiful granny .. I love the colors!! very end of summer.

    ps ...... I love your site ... you are so craftsy ..very inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to your son! I hope he had a great day. The wallet is very nice, so grown up. I hope his new school situation works well for all of you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely to catch up Heather ... happy birthday to your boy ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to your son, Heather. You are brave, selfless and dedicated...I like the idea of Hope training to guide you, sounds great. I love your mums embroidery...beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. A belated happy birthday for your son. I do hope the Hope training is working out for you? take care. x

    ReplyDelete