18.1.15

Across the valley and home.


This is the view from the end of my garden. I have to walk down the slope to underneath the Beech trees to see this. The field at the forefront is my neighbors. It's very sloped and has a huge badgers set on it. Once he told me he was thinking of getting organic certification. The large badgers set makes it too dangerous for horses to be in the field. I don't think he will do anything with the field and we're not allowed to go in it...., but it's nice to know it's being protected from being built on. Much further down the slope there is a small river and woods. Sometimes in the summer the noises from the house across valley bounce over as though they are really close.


I feel like I have been a bit disconnected from the garden lately. It was time for a winter wander, camera in hand of course. I love the smell of the wood smoke up at the house, it's so cold here right now. There has been many a night of wind gusting up this valley, I have been praying the roofs stay on. They seem to be quite well built. I didn't build them myself, they were already here. They are on stilts, because of the slope. There are a lot of cabins in this street, and a whole little community of cabin dwellers. I just kind of miss having a cabin space I can use. Not that I have ever really had one! But in terms of income this just makes more sense.


I'm still finding my way with this camera. My son forced me to take it off auto the other day to teach me how to do Bokeh. I was pretty chuffed to manage it. I will show you that soon! I thought it was rather fab that he had learn't that as part of his Music and Media lesson at The Door.

I love the yellow Winter Jasmine, it reminds me of my Mum. She always had some growing.


Winter stars, I'll call these. I'm not sure what they are, but they are pretty. Actually I think it's little Michaelmas Daises , could it be?


I have to say this camera captures the red and green so well, and it makes such a difference. Just look at these orange berries. Lovely.


And so back indoors, this is calling. There is always plenty calling right now! I have re-discovered this colourful piece and am now happily turning it into another cushion. Right now it's keeping my knees warm. I have brought some light denim coloured fabric to make covers with. I'm having a bit of a denim moment I think. So my next job is to get out that sewing machine and start. I just thought I'd call by here first, as you do! Have a good week.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful landscape - how special to be able to enjoy those views every day! Thanks for sharing, xhaafner (Yay for another granny square!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Heather, what a lovely area you live in.....I'd want one of those cabins too! We dream of a wooden studio at the bottom of our garden, lotto win needed first! I've got the same camera, I was heartbroken today when I realise I must of scratched the lens when I fell over last week. It took me year to get one. It doesn't seem to affect its performance too much, thank goodness. Have a lovely week, enjoy that view :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely post. I'm inpatient for spring, havent really been out in the garden much either, happy crocheting xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was lovely to see your garden! Thanks for sharing it with us. That's going to be a very pretty cushion. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning views, how blessed you are been able to look at the landscape everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. …. Such a lovely panorama!!!!
    I like when you discover what your kids have learned something somewhere : Matteo thought me how to use the sewing machine, because of his design lessons in school!!!!! ;oD
    xxxxxx Ale happy week

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That's beautiful. What a breathtaking view. Loving your photos xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You live in a gorgeous area Heather, the views are so beautiful!
    I hope you have a great week,
    Tammy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful view and a lovely piece of crochet! What a wonderful eye for colour you have, Heather.

    Stephanie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You live in such a beautiful place, I'm so tempted to relocate when I see photos like these.

    Your crochet looks gorgeous. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the sloping hills. the view is stunning. And the crochet...well, you know that I love that best of all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heather you live in a quite beautiful place. I love the idea of a crocheted cushion. A friend has offered to teach me to crochet, and I think I may take her up on the offer.
    Have a great week.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have some truly beautiful views from your garden is that cabin yours? its looks lovely and I imagine cosy to. Its good to know they wont be able to build on that little bit of land so many houses going up everywhere on spoiling the landscape I wonder sometimes where all the animals go. Enjoy your lovely crochet and week, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful view and one I fell in love with last Summer. It's such a shame I didn't know you were so close - we could of gone on a stomp up a hill together. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's really beautiful- I love undulating landscapes. It's the same here...
    The colors are really gorgeous, especially the golden light. And your new camera captures them in such a gorgeous way. It's even more pleasant to visit here now (and it was already delightful!).
    Hope your January days are quiet and joyful, Heather.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a garden and what a view! Seriously, it's gorgeous. I also feel very disconnected from the garden right now - there hardly seems reason to go out there when it's so cold and muddy. xx

    ReplyDelete