16.4.15

the way we were......

1978
That's me and my Mum sitting in the garden, it's the summer of 1978. I am eight years old and my Mum is 45, the same age as I am now. I couldn't let a mention on my last post, about The Sound of Music and Julie Andrews, go by without showing you this picture! Here is my Mum with her Julie Andrews haircut wearing her very lovely 1970's embroidered blouse, although you can't quite see that. 

I remember my outfit so well, I loved that red gingham top, the red trousers with a Snoopy patch on the knee. The little purse round my neck and that hair. I think someone must have brushed it for me. I seem to remember just pushing it back in a hairband unbrushed most of the time! I imagine I was hoping it was looking like a Farrah Fawcett flick. My feet look so long I think they grew to an adult size before the rest of me did. I don't think it was an accident we were sitting in front of the red rose bush either.

My Mum was having quite a hard time I think having lost my Dad the year before, and as a child that perhaps was all a bit surreal. I was happy to be in that safe little world with my Mum and local buddies roaming around the street and gardens, I think that kept me going. Play was the order of the day, little clubs, mini adventures, off on our bikes. I think my Mum lay on the couch and watched Wimbledon. That's what I can remember! 

15 comments:

  1. Hello, that is so bitter sweet, lovely and sad at the same time?
    and what was it with purses around our necks? I remember them so well! I think I had a blouse exactly the same as your Mums....a lovely pic, thanks for sharing
    Daisy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific photo, love the thought of a Snoopy patch. I adored Snoopy too and spent way too much on nick nacks emboldened with his image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an evocative photograph. I was 8 in '78 too, nd have a very similar photo of me and my Mum in our garden. I think I had a purse like that. I adored Snoopy. There was a shop in Bristol that sold Snoopy stuff. I spent a lot of time in there.
    Lovely post, Heather.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have some Snoopy memorabilia, I think I will have to dig it out and do another post! we're not sick of Snoopy yet are we. x

      Delete
  4. Lovely, sweet picture - and your precious memories beautifully written...Thank you for sharing...
    xhaafner
    PS. Ah yes Snoopy, sure does bring back some memories here too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely photo, and some sweet memories as well. You look adorable! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photo of you and Eileen. Wish I had known you both then coz my mum was the same age too! Loving the hair and I had a purse just like that! That was silver jubilee year have great memories of people and parties loved being 8!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes the silver jubilee! I'd forgotten about that. We did a little parade at my school with a royal coach made out of cardboard! how could I have forgotten that. X

      Delete
  7. This picture is the best!! and you have totally got the coveted Farrah Fawcett flick, I'm well jell :)))) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your memories. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely! I hope with the digital age that some photos will be printed in my house of my two and me to look back on in many years to come. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post and what a wonderful photo. We were young at much the same time and the photo looks like many of my childhood ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so horribly behind with everyone, having been very occupied elsewhere recently, but I've just had a lovely catch up, reading your last few posts.

    That is a fab photo. I have memories of that summer too ... O'level exams (clearly I'm older than you).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Watching Wimbledon in the summer was a very Mum thing to do, wasn't it? I'd often get sent to the newsagent to get her a Walnut Whip (dark chocolate) to accompany the tennis.
    I love looking at old photos like this. Must get the scanner on the printer fixed...
    Have a lovely weekend.
    S x

    ReplyDelete