1.2.14

home

It's been a while. The time went by. I become a reader, and I enjoy that. I try to wait until I feel moved to write here. To feel what I want to say. To feel the inspiration arrive. It's like a little challenge for me, to wait until it happens. And it always does. Even when I think it won't. So the time has gone by, and January is  over and I've been thinking about home.

Right now, in this two person and one little dog family, home is very much where it's at. Our daily lives are here in the warmth of home. It's where we shelter, where we rest, where we play. Where we remember who we are. Where we dream up the new. Sometimes we need to do this for however long we need to before we are ready to step out again into life in a new way. It becomes our anchor.

Lately I have found myself trawling through forgotten boxes, dusting things down, bringing things in from the cold. Polishing, shining, remembering. Giving things center stage for a while, and receiving what they have to give us. We have to know that, everything that is in our lives, is part of our lives. Even the things pushed into cold unloved corners. We can bring them out into the light. Allow them a place. Let them warm up to the tempo of our lives now. For a while perhaps. Choosing what to keep, what to let go of. When to let go of it. Finding the message in their story. How they came to be here. What joy did they bring. What sadness. Seeing what is here, right now. Acknowledging. Making whole, sewing in all the lost and forgotten parts.
 This is the work of home.

a favourite piece of thrifted quilt
I think there is sometimes a difference between saving things and cherishing things. After all what are we saving them for? How do we really know they will be needed. We can't really see into the future. We save and store things, and they can become cold things in our lives. Or perhaps we don't know what to do with them, and they become a forgotten pile somewhere. I feel like I am in a process, letting it all be a part of us.

Thinking of ways to cherish, honor and acknowledge all the parts. Maybe making little memory tables, changing them around. Celebrating a moment of your life, or someone who has been a part of it.
A place you have been, an accomplishment. Remember who you were at different ages, school, college, first job, first boyfriend! Let that part work it's magic. It's all played a special part. Look for the lessons and learning in the difficult times.

Make a space, dedicate a whole room if you can, or just surround yourself in memories. Build them into your life. Appreciate them. Just like this family here have. Do watch this if you have a couple of minutes.

   

Aren't they sweet! I love the way they are sitting together, him with his typewriter, her with her sewing machine and clay work. Cherishing all the parts.

I think ultimately for me, it's not just about de-cluttering, it's about re-connecting, with all the different aspects of who we are and then making space for this in our life. Maybe I will end up with less stuff. But I feel sure I will find space for my life, creativity and new ideas.

Creating home is the most important thing I do. 

♥♥♥

p.s. sorry if you have a problem with the vimeo! It was working and I think there is a problem with vimeo right now. Unless I have done something wrong! Hopefully it will come back on.If you click on the link below the film it may work!

21 comments:

  1. Lovely post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't see the video, but this is a lovely post. I hope that you enjoy connecting with all of your things as you discover them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post Heather - you are always so R E A L and to me that is of the utmost importance! Reading your post has really set my brain cogs turning and another learning curve has begun . . . . . .
    The video is very interesting - what a loving family, although I must admit I couldn't live with so many bits and pieces and energies around me cluttering up my space - what a huge job it must be for them each time they move house!!!
    Have a wonderful week, warm hugs, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really thought provoking post and video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post. I loved the video. paula xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for such wise words :-) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely thoughtful post. Home and family is what it's all about. Jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always a pleasure to find a post from you when I log on. Agree with you that this cherishing of the things is the way to enjoy our homes rather than extreme decluttering. ThanksT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, considerate post. Warm hugs to you, keep making your house a home, Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely post. I agree with your sentiments about things. I tend to collect too much and I've found it's important to love what I already have instead of piling in more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a lovely post - you have such a way with words

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heather I have really enjoyed this post. I have been thinking along these lines so much lately. I like the idea of reconnecting. It is something I am going to be doing a lot of. Thank you so much for giving me a new slant to think about

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always surrounded myself with memories, the problem is, I hate to part with any of them!
    I often find it difficult to know what to keep and what to let go of, I find myself wanting to keep everything that the kids do and make!
    I hope you have a wonderful week Heather,
    Much love to you,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heather, this is such a great post. I sometimes think in our fashionable urge to "de-clutter" we can part with cherished things, just because we don't know quite what to do with them. But then, having a good clear out always feels good. I like your idea of memory tables. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a thoughtful post, made me realise that although I couldn't live surrounded by so much stuff like the people in the video, I could make a little area for all the little special things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Heather, Lovely post!!! I LOVE the idea of memory corners!!! Such a great idea!!! And changing it all the time would really keep it interesting!!! Have a fun-fabulous week!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a moving post and how wonderful it must be to sing and play and instrument with your dad (my family was strictly non musical) we gardened together and I miss that. I don't think it is the amount of stuff that anyone keeps I couldn't live with quite so much stuff but it is the way they cherish every piece and display it (no dusty boxes of stuff in the attic for them). They are creating something very special with everything in their lives, even the pieces of paper we might throw away. I am inspired! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the part in the video where he talks about ecology and economy as inherent in the concept of home!

    Great post Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Heather, I have just come across your blog and have to say Thankyou for the delightful video. An amazing family and home cherishing so much for so long in special ways. I also love the hearts and will definitely be making some. Blessings, Trills

    ReplyDelete