19.12.17

Winter simplicity...

 






This morning I've been thinking about simple. This post was going to have another name, but after hearing Dee Williams talk about voluntary simplicity during her interview with Jay Shafer at the Tiny House Jamboree this year, I realised that simple is where I want to be. Something about adding the word voluntary in front of simplicity, wakes me up. I often create complex situations, when I could choose simple. But where some things can just be thrown off, others feel as though they need to be untangled and let go carefully.

As I look back on this year, I can see simplicity beginning to weave its way though my life. There are still some knots, and I made those myself. Especially towards the end of the year. For the best part of 20 years now, I have been talking about a creative business of some kind. I can't believe it's been so long. But it's true. Always feeling like it was just around the corner. That I somehow couldn't get to it. Perhaps I made it too complicated. Now I can't be sure what it is. I feel I maybe in the last throws of something that might need to be released. Maybe its enough to just be creative, and get on with life.

Right now, this winter I am off social media. I am here, and that feels enough. I'm not sure what to do with it yet. I'm trying to be more present in my life, have the attention to give the things I don't want to ignore or procrastinate over any longer. It's like wanting to show up and deal with knitty gritty, so it can get done and....then.... life can feel more simple ( I hope) I have a hit list, it's long. But at some point, you need to get down to it. Maybe it's the unravelling. Maybe it's just life ;-)

So this winter holiday I will try and choose simple. I've decided not to send cards this year. Big breath out. I had a great idea for making that will just have to wait until next year. Starting from today, I plan on bringing back in my daily stretching and meditation. Even just a few minutes. I will venture out at the quiet times. I will drink hot chocolate in the evenings and sit next to my tree in the candlelit mornings. I will give myself the time to reflect on the things I do want to choose next year. I hope to back here soon. I do like it here. Hope your week goes well.

♥  
   

                                                                                 


8 comments:

  1. Good on you for taking those first steps towards simple. They are the hardest but once you get going there will be no stopping you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have the momentum going, and then keep it going...:-)

      Delete
  2. good to hear from you.You are sounding very positive.Keep blogging.So many people seem to have stopped.barbarax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I always land back in my blog with good resolve. I find it hard to be on several platforms at once. I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing that. I appreciate your encouragement. This place feels essentially good for me.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos, and beautiful post, Heather! I hope your voluntary simplicity and mindful daily routines this winter bring you peace and tranquility. I like your weaving/knots analogy when it comes to simplicity. Sometimes I feel like that, too, like simplicity is getting through to many parts of my life but there are little pockets of chaos from time to time - the knots! I'm feeling envious of all that beautiful snow. It's stinking hot here and while I'm on holiday from work and enjoying the peace and quiet of it, it's hard not to feel lethargic all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Solstice Lisa, I've been in hot climates at Christmas, but never so far down under! Hope you can keep things cool. I feel like I'm getting ready to deal with the knots, you know the things that have been side-lined for so long...half the time I just haven't been sure the best way to approach some things. So I've been stepping around the explosions and complicated things. But enough! Thank you Lisa for shining your simple light here.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Heather! It's a pleasure to be here :)

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas Heather!
    Nice to see you back and thinking about voluntary simplicity. I have some popular books on that from the 80s/90s that got me kickstarted...

    ReplyDelete